Monday, April 25, 2011

Saving Electricity

I have always been proud of the fact that in my circle of friends and relatives, my power bill has always been the lowest. If theirs is in three digits, mine will be in two. And when theirs goes up - like in summer - mine does too, but it is still less than theirs. To me it is a measure of how well I conserve electricity.

It helps that I am not addicted to TV, that I can sit without a fan for ours - not penny pinching there, but I genuinely don't get affected much by heat. I close the windows and keep the curtains drawn so that the heat blast within the house is less. I have one window open to let in light.

I am particular about switching off lights and fans when no one is in the room. I don't switch on the AC even in peak summer except if children insist - and then also they are allowed to only cool the room and then switch it off.

So when my two months' electricity bill was low at 300 something, I felt justifiably proud.

Till my neighbour, in a chance conversation, wondered - hers was less than 200! I have a long way to go.

If you have a conservation story to share, please leave a note and I shall post it as a blog... Don't know how to enable others to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment